In rebelling against the spending measure, Democrats and some Republicans said it fell woefully short of fulfilling federal commitments.This is the problem with trying to get Conservatives to prepare for disasters; until they happen, there is always the chance they won't, so why spend the money to prepare? Until the odds are irresistably compelling, budgets will always be too tight to do what's needed. It all goes under the heading of "acceptable losses." Our personal welfare is not a priority, as long as the system, and the constituency, is preserved.
They pointed, for example, to $900 million in health care cuts that took a toll on the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and on rural health care. They opposed the elimination of $8 billion to prepare for a potential flu pandemic. And they pointed to a provision that would strip money from a variety of popular education programs and leave Pell Grants to college students frozen, as part of the first reduction in education spending in a decade.
Friday, November 18, 2005
In Loss for G.O.P., House Rejects Spending Plan - New York Times:
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
11/13 - 11/20
- Your Government At Work (Big Brother Over-protects...
- A New Record For Atlantic Storms
- Color My Blog
- Newsday.com: Iraqi guards seen as death squads
- Let Them Be Sick And Stupid -- NOT
- Scrooge Recants At FEMA
- The Race Is On
- Finally Getting Serious At The Pentagon?
- Woody Opens New Hole In White House
- What The Hell!?
- The Good Murtha
- WSJ.com - Bush's Approval Rating Falls Again, Poll...
- MyDD :: Democratic Independence Grows
- Is Woody Lying, Too?
- Is That A Lighter In Your Pocket?
- Blunt Not Too Sharp
- Teaching American Business Practices To The Iraqis...
- CNN.com - U.S. air cargo still vulnerable to terro...
- Foreign Service Officers File Complaint with GAO; ...
- I Couldn't Keep Up
- Report Says Ex-Chief of Public TV Violated Federal...
- Americans Realizing "You Get What You Pay For?"
- Shakespeare's Sister On Corrupt Elections
- THE BRAD BLOG: "The Staggeringly Impossible Result...
- The New York Review of Books: The End of News?
- firedoglake: Did Rover Roll Over?
- The Biggest Threat Goes Undefended
- What We "Don't Do" Can Kill You
- Asterisks Dot White House's Iraq Argument -- WaPo
- JMM Takes Apart Mehlman Spew
- ▼ 11/13 - 11/20 (31)
- ► 2003 (7)