(CBS/AP) The Senate on Friday rejected attempts to reauthorize several provisions of the USA Patriot Act as infringing too much on Americans' privacy and liberty, dealing a huge defeat to the Bush administration and Republican leaders.It's about time some people in Congress started voting their conscience!
In a crucial vote Friday, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., was not able to get the 60 votes needed to overcome a threatened filibuster by Sens. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., and Larry Craig, R-Idaho, and their allies. The final vote was 52-47.
Friday, December 16, 2005
CBS News | Senate Defeat For Patriot Act | December 16, 2005 16:48:59:
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
12/11 - 12/18
- And The Good News...
- 1984 Redux
- Political Wire: Official Says Voting Machines Can ...
- Bob Novak Says President Knows Leak Source
- In The Ownership Society, There Are The Disowned
- Iranian Leader Escalates Anti-Israeli Rhetoric - N...
- CBS News | Gov't Loses Patriot Act Decision | Sept...
- CBS News | House Votes To Renew Patriot Act | Dece...
- CBS News | Bush's War On The Press | November 18, ...
- No Separation Of Mosque And State For Iraq
- Canada PM Won't Kowtow To Washington
- Dupont Settles With EPA Over Teflon Chemical
- Once Upon a Time...: Hate Sex, and Watch People Su...
- Sen. Dorgan Plays It Straight
- Ronnie Earle Connects The Dots
- Political Wire: Bush Approval Fades Again
- The Next Retirement Time Bomb - New York Times
- Let's Hope This Helps
- U.S. Envoy Says Detainee Abuse Was Worse Than Desc...
- Iraq Learning The American Way
- ▼ 12/11 - 12/18 (20)
- ► 2003 (7)