Almost as bad as the drip, drip, drip of diminishing Administration denials is the overall suspicion surrounding the case. The central question raised by the firing of the U.S. attorneys by the Bush Administration is this: was Bush or Rove or anyone else at the top levels of the executive branch trying to subvert justice by firing prosecutors who were too light on Democrats or too tough on Republicans? Senators Chuck Schumer of New York and Dianne Feinstein of California say it appears the Administration was; the White House, Justice Department and Republican Senators adamantly say they weren't.Can you say "impeachable?" Sure you can.
At the hearing, Feinstein reeled off a list of cases that some of the fired U.S. attorneys were pursuing — or had declined to pursue — that could have been seen as disadvantageous to the White House or other Republicans, implying that those cases might have been the cause of the firings. The list included: Carol Lam of San Diego, who was investigating the Randy "Duke" Cunningham bribery case and had issued subpoenas for the third-ranking CIA official the day before Sampson wrote in an e-mail that Justice had a "real problem" with her "right now"; Dan Bogden of Nevada, who had opened a probe relating to Nevada Republican Governor Jim Gibbons; John McKay, who had declined to intervene in a contested governor's election in Washington; Paul Charlton of Arizona, who had opened preliminary probes into Republican Congressmen Jim Kolbe and Rick Renzi; and Iglesias, who had been overseeing an investigation of state Democrats.
Friday, March 30, 2007
Gonzales' Fall Guy Fires Back | TIME:
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
03/25 - 04/01
- More Evidence The GSA "Politicized" By White House...
- Another Crony Puts Policy First (Ahead Of Science ...
- Saudis & Friends Diss Rice Bigtime
- Looks Like A Duck, Quacks Like A Duck,...
- Is BushCo Still Going For "Double-Or-Nothing?"
- "Uh, heh-heh, I was Only Kiddin'."
- Even Bush's Boss Says It's Time To Leave Iraq
- Gonzales Is Toast! And Rove Is The Butter
- The Once and Never Queen
- The History Of Abuse Of Power...Anybody?...Mueller...
- Can't Be Honest If You Did The Crime
- Progress In Peace
- The Surge Is Failing
- Purgegate Is Just The Tip Of The Iceberg
- ▼ 03/25 - 04/01 (14)
- ► 2006 (690)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)