The 2-1/2 year sentence imposed on former White House aide I. Lewis 'Scooter' Libby today puts new pressure on President Bush, who may soon confront the choice of triggering a fresh political storm by pardoning a convicted perjurer or letting one of the early architects of his administration head off to prison.So either way, BushCo gets the short end of the stick. Maybe Libby will wax more candid once he's had a few weeks in the cooler. I'm betting (hoping?) Bush pardons him, because it would be easier for him (and Cheney) to withstand the shit-storm a pardon causes than the shit-hurricane a singing Libby would set off.
Libby, who served as assistant to the president and chief of staff to Vice President Cheney until his indictment in late 2005, was ordered to serve 30 months behind bars and pay a $250,000 fine for committing perjury and obstruction of justice in the CIA leak case. But most disturbing to the White House may be comments by the judge indicating that he is inclined to order Libby to begin serving the sentence right away.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Bush Faces Libby Pardon Dilemma - washingtonpost.com:
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
06/03 - 06/10
- Olbermann: Latest J.F.K. Terror Plot *DEBUNKED!*
- Yet Another Crony Resigns
- Steeplejacking -- How the Christian Right is Hijac...
- A Torturer Repents?
- Gonzales no-confidence vote set for Monday
- Impeachment on a Roll
- Another Bush Crony Won't Give Up His Post
- Cheney's Law
- Godless in Union Square
- Another Woman Journalist Killed In Afghanistan
- Yeah, We'll Get Back To You On That
- What About The Rule Of Law?
- Pakistan Arrests Hundreds From Opposition Parties
- Bush's Libby Dilemma
- Jefferson Steps Down
- No Kidding?
- Nancy, You Got Some 'Splainin' To Do!
- Scooter Going To Jail
- Go F**k Yourself, Dick!
- Mushareff Cracks Down On Media In Pakistan
- I Love Vermont!
- Reasons We Are In Iraq
- U.S. Cutting Back On Climate Monitoring
- Was JFK Plot Another Overblown Distraction?
- Pray the Gay Away
- U.S. - India Nuke Deal Talks Breakdown
- ▼ 06/03 - 06/10 (26)
- ► 2006 (690)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)